This headline came to mind when I read a recent story published in my local newspaper. Art Linkletter made the phrase popular in his day and later Bill Cosby used it as a title for his CBS comedy series. It was true back then and is true today.
The article titled “What is the worst thing about being a kid?” was a delightful collection of answers kids submitted to the newspaper.
There is a link for the article below, but if you’re too busy, I have selected some of the kids’ answers and added my own editorial comments. Except for first names, I’ve deleted information on the children.
“That you’re not allowed to drive.” (Olli
- Wait until you’re ninety Ollie.
“The worst thing about being a kid is you can’t gamble.” (Katelyn)
- What’s this world come to Katelyn? It’s the twenty-first century for crying out loud.
“School. Being grounded. Chores. Cleaning my room.” (Tessa)
- Note to self: Don’t write when having bad day.
“I can’t buy anything I want.” (Caydance)
- I know how you feel Caydance.
“The worst thing about being a kid is being forced to eat yucky, yucky veggies! P.S. Hold your nose while eating them!” (Ziba)
- FLOTUS will not be pleased, but thanks for the tip.
“The worst thing about being a kid is that we don’t get to vote for president.” (Sam)
- •Move to Chicago Sam.
“Not knowing all the things you need to know.” (Morgan)
- •Morgan, that only happens when you’re sixteen. But years later you’ll realize you got it all wrong anyway.
“The worst thing about being a kid is I’m not tall enough for carnival rides.” (Josie)
- Always good to set high goals Josie.
“The worst thing about being a kid is math.” (Lenny)
- Must be into that Common Core Curricula.
“The worst part about being a kid is having consequences.” (Joy)
- I agree Joy, really the pits.
“The worst thing about being a kid is adults. You have to listen to them, respect them and, worst of all, we will grow up to be them!” (Troy)
- Troy, take heart. Some just grow up to be big kids.
“Not being able to have a job, curse you laws.” (Keegan)
- I see a bright future for you Keegan.
“The worst thing about being a kid is that no one takes you very seriously because they just assume that just because you’re a kid that means not a single intelligent thought could ever leave your mouth.” (Dylan)
- I know how you feel Dylan.
“Nothing is bad about being a kid.” (Erin)
- Right on Erin, enjoy!
If you have the time, this full article and others in the series can be found through the following link:
*Revised and republished.